We all know that brushing our teeth is important, but did you know that there are certain things we should be doing every day to ensure a healthy smile? If not, don’t worry. We have compiled a list of 12 daily habits for perfect oral hygiene. Here it is:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a toothpaste containing fluoride. It is important to brush your teeth at the correct 45-degree angle to the gums. Don’t use mouthwash as a substitute for brushing. Mouthwash does not remove food particles and bacteria from your teeth the way everyday toothbrushing and flossing do. Using a toothbrush will help you get food particles off as part of your daily hygiene routine.
- You should clean between your teeth after every meal by using dental floss or an interdental cleaner.
- It is important that you brush not only your teeth, but also your tongue. This section of the mouth can be overlooked and contains many sources of bacteria.
- Reduce intake of acidic foods and drinks such as soda, coffee, or juice. Rinse your mouth with water after consuming this type of food or drink to minimize the acidity levels in your mouth.
- Cut out or limit foods that are high in sugar, like candy, cookies, and ice cream from your diet. Sugary foods get stuck in between your teeth in hard-to-reach places and increase your risk of cavities.
- Take care to chew on softer foods. Avoid chewing ice, and refrain from chewing hard candy or other tough food items. The pressure caused by these food choices can cause damage to your teeth such as chipping or fractures.
- Chewing sugar-free gum is a highly effective way to limit the bacteria in your mouth. Gum with Xylitol will actually starve these bacteria, and chewing it after meals can help reduce plaque buildup.
- Be gentle with your teeth when you brush. You can avoid toothbrush damage and cavity formation if you brush softly and it is highly recommended that you use a toothbrush with soft bristles.
- To reduce the risk of tooth decay, we should eat healthy foods like fresh fruits and vegetables. Make sure that you are following a healthy diet for healthier teeth. A healthy diet helps keep your teeth and gums strong. Foods help with providing vitamin support, reducing bacteria in your mouth, aiding digestion, strengthening tooth enamel.
- Have your teeth checked by a dentist at least once every six months or as needed to avoid tooth decay. If you are advised to schedule more frequent appointments, your dentist will provide details on the reason.
- Drink a lot of water to hydrate. Municipalities sometimes add fluoride to tap water, which helps prevent tooth decay. Exposure to fluoride in your water will strengthen the enamel on your teeth, which makes them more resistant to wear and tear. Another way to prevent cavities is through fluoride treatments.! Fluoride can help fight tooth decay when used appropriately.
- Have your teeth sealed. Dental sealants are a dental treatment applied by the dentist that can help strengthen your teeth.
Hopefully, you learned some valuable lessons about caring for your teeth in this article. With one of the world’s best dentist Houston city and homes like relationships with patients, Dr. Fisher’s goal and message is to give an experience like never before and treat every patient with a smile and end every visit with smiles. Call Now & Schedule Your Appointment (713) 667-8080!